Saturday, May 7, 2011

Midnight Blue, just because.

I was documenting seedlings in "number four" yesterday and took the opportunity to photograph one of my favorite moderns, 'Midnight Blue', by Tom Carruth. Echoing a recent comment by Jim Sproul, it is one of the few named varieties I still use in breeding. (I mostly use my own proprietary hybrids nowadays)

'Midnight Blue' is a truly amazing shrub. What color! It is also a very willing and capable seed/pollen parent; it is one of the few roses I can expect consistently good numbers of fertile seeds from, regardless of what the pollen parent placed on it.

Busy day, off to work!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shot, Paul. Thanks. Midnight Blue has to go down in history as one of Tom Carruth's masterpieces. Thornless, rudely healthy in my climate, ever-flowering in those scrumptious colors and that scent! Thanks for the heads-up that it's a good breeder both ways. Please keep making those wonderful babies with it! Kim

    ReplyDelete