Thursday, June 9, 2011

R. wichurana variegata seedlings

2010 was the first time I had seen seeds form on R. wichurana variegata, aka 'Curiosity'. Needless to say, I gathered these promptly and set them in the fridge to stratify. What you see here is the result: green. No variegation of any kind; not even a hint. While disappointed, I can't exactly feign surprise, since the odds were good that the variegation, although genetic in origin, would not be inheritable. This suggests the factor is a sport/mutation that does not extend into the reproductive tissue layer, and so it won't get passed on to offspring.

Anyone interested in R. wichurana seedlings?! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Paul, isn't that kind of like trying to give away fleas? hehehe Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, a twofer. My dog has fleas, they can get a wich seedling and I'll throw in some free fleas.
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete