Friday, May 29, 2009

Oh man, thats UGLEEE!

Sometimes you get some real "horror shows" in a group of seedlings, and this is one of the finest I have encountered in ages. This is another of the 'Golden Angel' X 'John Davis' seedlings, blooming for the first time. Yes, what petals it does have are greenish, and it is proliferating like mad. (I think I'll nickname this "The Mad Hatter") Ordinarly I'd throw this kind of monstrosity out immediately, but the plant is so healthy and vigorous that its a temptation to keep it as a novelty. Good thing it has no stigmas or stamens, huh? *laughs*

I have R. woodsii pollen to spread around.....gotta run!

7 comments:

  1. I had to blow that picture up to get a better look. I had a professor a long time ago who would have loved this plant. He kept tons of oddities that he found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wu,
    You DO know that if you click on any of the images embedded in the blog that you get to see a large version of each photo, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kinda cool though... in that viridiflora kind of way... isn't proliferation a variable thing? Not all the flowers will do this will they? Maybe it will stabilise as it matures?
    (P.S. I have sent you an email)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Idonno, I kind of like it. It's got a certain je ne sais quoi...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you know some flower arranger would go gaga over it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then I shall dub it 'Floral Arranger's Delight'! Now to find a commercial grower to produce it a billion stems per year as a cut flower. (Yeah, as if!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now for some UFO enthusiast to claim it as a "genuine alien inside-out flower". It will show up on some science-fringe website for sure. Probably claim it was caused by either alien seeds or alien radiation.

    Nope, just human beings, messing around with pollen.

    ReplyDelete